Mercury Wine Geyserville:
I discovered Mercury during Winter Wine Land in 2018 and fell in love with it at first sip. Named after the regions history of mercury mining, their winery is an energetic presentation of wine. Brothers Brad, the winemaker, and Grady, the lively wine host, have created a special welcoming spot in small town Geyserville, California. Brad’s wine reflects both old world and new world styles and each one is more delicious than the last. Here are three of my recommendations from them.
1. Black Bubbles is a delicious sparkling wine like none other. It is 100% Petite Sirah made in the traditional Champagne method. This wine is what sold me on Mercury! It has notes of red fruits like dark cherry and raspberry and the bubbles are never overwhelming.
2. The 2017 Rocket, is a complex red blend that is a perfect cocktail wine, meaning no food needed to enjoy it. It is mostly Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc, but is not overwhelming in tannins due to its extended barrel aging. If you’re looking for a nice deep red with notes of black fruit this one is for you.
3. Their 2018 Freddie Grenache Rosé is perfect for those sun filled summer days. It is juicy and bright, with notes of cherry and plum. Lovely floral aromas on the noes and pairs great with a cheese and charcuterie board.
Three Fat Guys Wine
Three Fat Guys Wine, named after three friends who met while playing for the Green Bay Packers is a small production winery in Sonoma that makes some stellar wines. Their tasting room is welcoming and laid back and if you’re looking to join your first wine club they have a one bottle club just for that!
1. 2016 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay is not your grandmothers Chardonnay. This white wine is elegant and balanced with delicious acidity and notes of lemon and vanilla. I’m not a big Chardonnay fan, but I could drink this every night.
2. 2018 Carneros Pinot Noir. This Pinot is filled with rich notes of dark fruit and baking spices. It is a bit heavier than most Pinot Noirs but still light enough to stand on its own with out food.
3. 2013 Rutherford Napa Cabernet Sauvignon. This Cabernet will knock your socks off. It has just the right amount of tannins without being too overwhelming and balanced with an acidity that leaves your palate wanting more. Delicious notes of black fruit and caramel make it easy to finish the bottle in one sitting.